Monday, May 23, 2011

wonton rhapsody

Wonton soup, the seemingly banal comfort food that is always a reliable go-to at even the most questionably chinese restaurants, has soared to the top of my most wanted list. After a long and busy day of visiting the university, wandering through markets and malls (who knew upscale malls were the central feature of this urban landscape?) trying to find my way back to the hotel, and keeping myself up until bedtime, I decided it was time for a little room service. And, at only $138 HKD, what could be more soothing than a nice bowl of what was humbly entitled, "Wonton noodle soup, Hong Kong style"?

This was not your neighborhood -- or at least not MY Davis Island -- wonton soup. Imagine, if you will (or check out my facebook page later today, since, luddite that I am, I can't figure out how to upload photos onto my blog), situated on a tray, a large, square bowl containing bright green, perfectly steamed bock choy, next to a pile of thin egg noodles, cooked al dente and miles and miles (or should I say, in this former british colony, kilometres and kilometres) long to endorse a long life, with glistening steamed shrimp wontons loaded on top. To maintain the textures of these perfectly cooked elements, the rich and perfectly seasoned broth is not in the bowl, but rather in a small silver, covered pitcher next to it, so that you can add the amount you will and keep it warm as you savor this delicious, flavorful and satisfying soup. Originally, I had planned to watch a little tv with my meal (Chinese soap operas, anyone?) but decided that this was a meal worthy of my full attention.

And the 64% dark chocolate mousse, light and creamy, and coated in a rich, deep glaze of dark chocolate, was a worthy encore.

Did you honestly think I would forego dessert?

1 comment:

  1. Go Girl, experience it all and do not forget to try some of my favorites:



    Century egg
    Salted duck egg
    Chinese cabbage
    Shiitake
    Kai-lan
    Red Bean
    Hoisin Sauce
    Chinese Sausage
    Dried shrimp
    Dried Scallop
    Jujube
    Lotus seed

    ReplyDelete